County restricts public building access during COVID-19 outbreak
All La Plata County buildings and departments sharply reduced public access beginning Wednesday, March 18, moving toward online and telephone service where possible, and appointment-only visits in limited circumstances. This change to how La Plata County delivers services is intended to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community by practicing social distancing. These changes will remain in effect indefinitely. Details about how to receive county services under restricted building access are found below.
La Plata County Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission meetings, will be accessible to the public using an online meeting platform for commissioners and the public to access via computer and telephone. Public participation at relevant meetings will be handled through this platform, and beginning June 16, 2020, with limited in-person attendance with masks. Information for joining the meeting will be distributed with the commissioners’ weekly press release and guidlines and information is on the meetings and agendas page. Regular meeting practices will resume following the high-risk COVID-19 pandemic.
Buildings & Departments
County Administration Building
The County Administration Building will close to public access without an appointment.
- Administration and the Board of County Commissioners office (970) 382-6219
- Finance Department (970) 382-6310
- Procurement Division (970) 382-6432
- No in-person bid-openings will be conducted
Assessor, Clerk & Recorder and Treasurer (ACT) Building
- Assessor’s Office
- The Assessor’s Office will not be conducting site visits at this time.
- Visit http://www.co.laplata.co.us/government/elected_officials/assessor_s_office for data and forms
- Forms can be dropped at the 24-hour ballot box in the ACT building parking lot
- Call (970)382-6221 for other services
- Clerk & Recorder’s Office
The La Plata County Clerk and Recorder’s office at 679 Turner Drive, Suite C, in Bodo Park is now open for in-person transactions including motor vehicle registration and renewals, marriage licensing, document recordings, voter registration, elections, and all other business.
In order to ensure the safety of customers and staff, the number of people allowed into the building at one time will be limited, and customers will be required to wear face coverings. As a result, wait times may be longer than usual.
- 679 Turner Dr. Ste C, Durango
- Kiosk - North City Market in Durango
- 679 Turner Dr. Ste C, Durango
- Mail - 679 Turner Dr. Ste C, Durango
- (970) 382-6297
- Treasurer’s Office
- Tax payments can be made using the following options
- Mail: PO Box 99, Durango, CO 81302
- 24-hour ballot drop-box in parking lot
- Call (970) 382-6352 for appointments for all other business
Durango-La Plata Senior Center
- The Durango-La Plata County Senior Center is closed to public access. Senior Services is continuing to provide home-delivered meals to seniors in the Durango and Bayfield area. Call (970)382-6435 to arrange meal delivery.
- Transportation and home chore services will not be available during the closure, and all activities and recreation classes are temporarily cancelled. Senior Center staff will be available by phone during the closure at (970)382-6445 and limited Medicare counseling is available at (970)382-6444.
The Sheriff’s Office administration, Alternatives to Incarceration and Investigations offices are closed to the public without appointment.
- Fingerprint appointments are not being taken at this time
- To report a crime or speak with a deputy, call (970) 385-2900
- To request records, visit http://lpcso.org/cms/One.aspx?portalId=1942042&pageId=1944609
- For civil paper service requests, call (970)382-7050, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Call (970)247-1157 to reach administration
Community Development Services:
- To request a building inspection for a permitted project, call (970)382-6250.
- To apply for a building permit, visit http://lpccds.org/building/permits_and_inspections.
- Submit plans and applications to email@example.com or by flash drive at 211 Rock Point Drive or call the Building Department at (970)382-6250.
- Building permits payments must be made by credit card or check by appointment at (970) 382-6250. No cash is being accepted at this time.
- Contact the Planning Department at (970) 382-6263 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fairgrounds & Extension
The Fairgrounds Office is closed to public access and all scheduled events have been cancelled.
- For questions about the Fairgrounds, call (970)382-6468
- For questions about Extension programs, call (970)759-4369
The Human Services Department, 10 Burnett Court, will be closed to public access except by appointment.
- To apply for medical, food, income or early childhood assistance, visit https://coloradopeak.secure.force.com/
- Application forms are available in the entryway and can be submitted using the dropbox outside
- Call (970)382-6150 with questions
- Call (970)759-0117 for veterans services assistance
The GIS Department is closed to public access without appointment. For information requests, please use this link: http://co.laplata.co.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=1323753&pageId=1633035 or call (970)382-6226.
Road & Bridge/Fleet
The Road & Bridge and Fleet offices and shops will be closed to public access without an appointment. Please call (970) 382-6413 with questions.
The Public Works and Engineering offices will be closed to public access without an appointment. Please call (970) 382-6363 with questions.
County Attorney’s Office
The County Attorney’s Office is available by phone at (970)382-8600.