Public Records Requests
All requests for public records of La Plata County pursuant to the Colorado Open Records Act, also known as CORA, (CRS 24-72-112 through 24-72-402), must be submitted in writing.
- La Plata County Government records, excluding criminal justice records, court records and birth/death certificate records: La Plata County public record request form
- To request criminal justice records from the District Attorney's Office, please fill out the Criminal Justice Records Request Form.
- To request criminal justice records from the La Plata County Sheriff's Office, please fill out the Application for the Release of Public Records form. Typically, only cases in which the criminal reports have been closed, can they be released to the public. Requestors must show photo identification. There is a charge of $7.50 for the first 5 pages of a incident report, $0.25 for each additional page. If extra research is needed, there may be an additional cost.
- Colorado Birth and Death Certificates - contact San Juan Basin Public Health Department or call 970-247-5702.
- Court Documents (DUI, Divorce, Criminal Record) - contact the Colorado Judicial Branch or call 970-247-2304.
- Visit the Clerk and Recorder’s webpage for recorded documents.
- Visit the GIS website for property information.
For further information, please contact the La Plata County Administrative Offices by phone at 970-382-6214 or by email.
Formal requests must include:
- Contact Information including address, phone and e-mail when available.
- Delivery Method Preferred (email, fax, mail or pick up in person).
- Name of specific records or documents requested, including the department where the document(s) are located.
- Request must be made in writing, and must state that it is a request under the Colorado Open Records Act (CORA).
- Pursuant to TITLE 24 - ARTICLE 72 of the Colorado Revised Statutes, the individual making the request will be charged for the actual expense of filling the request. A quote for that expense will be provided by County staff.
Should the requestor wish to obtain copies of documents, the cost per page for hard copies is 25¢ per page, or in the case of records of elected officials, as provided in Colorado Revised Statutes. If actual costs exceed 25¢ per page (such as large format documents), actual costs will be charged.
NOTE: It is a Class 1 Misdemeanor for a person to knowingly make a false entry or alter any public record or to destroy, mutilate, conceal, remove, or impair the availability of any public record. C.R.S. § 18-18-114. “Public record” is defined as all official books, papers, or records created, received, or used by or in any governmental office or agency.
Costs for providing records electronically are outlined in the County’s public records policy. Payment in the form of cash, check or money order made payable to La Plata County must be made in advance. La Plata has established this rate at $30 per hour for the compilation of data. If the records request can be completed in one hour or less, no data compilation fee will be charged. This fee includes the cost of redacting documents to protect legally privileged material. You will be notified in advance of the estimate of any such fee. We will commence no work of this type on your behalf without your prior approval and advance deposit.
In the event requestor does not make arrangements for a review of documents, fails to appear for the review, or fails to prepay costs within ten working days of notification of the availability of records, the request will be deemed closed.