Victim and Witness Assistance
At this time, meetings will be held via teleconference. The next meeting will be at 11:00a.m. on September 13, 2021. Find an agenda for this meeting here. Any person(s) interested in attending a CVC Board Meeting via teleconference may contact the Victim Compensation Unit at 970-382-6339.
If you have Victim Compensation applications or documents, please email or fax to 970-259-0200 Attn: Carol. You may also mail them to Victim Compensation 1060 E. 2nd Avenue, Suite B10 Durango, CO 81301 or drop them off at the District Attorney's Office. If you have additional questions, please call 970-382-6339.
The mission of the Victim/Witness Unit of the District Attorney’s (DA) office is to advocate for victims and witnesses of crime and be of direct assistance from the time of arrest of the perpetrator through disposition of the case. This includes insuring that victims are afforded all rights that are mandated by the “Crime Victim Bill of Rights”. Our goal is to maintain the DA’s high standards of victim assistance and ensure that victims and witnesses are treated with compassion, fairness, respect and dignity.
The objective of the District Attorney's Victim Witness Unit is to provide the best possible services to all persons who fall victim to crime in La Plata, Archuleta and San Juan Counties. Our goal is to pursue justice on behalf of the victim and to provide the best possible support as their case proceeds through the criminal justice system. This support is an accumulative effort of all divisions of the District Attorney's Office.
- Information about the court system
- Information about your case and its progress
- A private and secure waiting area in the courthouse
- Assistance in filling out claims with the Victim of Crime Compensation Board
- Property return assistance and information
- Employer intervention
- Information about self-help groups and social service agencies
- Collection of restitution, when court ordered
- Community education/awareness programs
- Specialized Domestic Violence Advocates
- Interpretation and special needs services
- Court accompaniment
- If you are a victim or witness, transportation and lodging, as necessary, when subpoenaed to testify