La Plata County Senior Services is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all adults age 60 years or older and helping them age with dignity and purpose.
Through information, advocacy and service, we are committed to building a healthier community for all senior residents.
La Plata County Senior Services provides nutritionally balanced congregate and home delivered meals to seniors in the Durango and Bayfield areas. A goal of the Nutrition program is to promote much needed socialization, which reduces mental health risk factors and isolation. Our objective is to ensure that 85% of at-risk clients will maintain or improve their health and wellness through nutrition, education and greater access to senior support services.
The Nutritional Lunch Program is the foundation of our program, and the Senior Centers kitchen staff prepares and serves more than 57,495 wholesome, nutritious Senior Center lunches countywide each year! The menu is reviewed and nutritionally analyzed by a registered dietician. The suggested donation is $5.00 for seniors 60 + and Caregivers. Fees for individuals 12-59 are $10.50 and children under 12 are $5.00.
Durango – La Plata Senior Center is located at 2424 Main Avenue. Seniors enjoy a variety of healthy, hot meals. In addition to the delicious meals and salad bar there are many days where seniors enjoy entertainment from local musical groups, guest speakers, youth groups, special holiday celebrations, theme days, BBQ’s and more.
Bayfield – Pine River Senior Center in Bayfield , located at 111 Southwest St, offers meals on Wednesdays and Fridays each week at noon. The Durango Senior Center kitchen staff prepares the meals for the Bayfield site and menus are the same for both locations. Reservations must be made by 9:00 a.m. by calling (970) 884-5415.
Newsletter, Events, Menu and Activities Guide
Find the Durango~La Plata Senior Center and Bayfield Senior Center Menu, Activities Schedule and more in the Current Newsletter
- Practice Tai Chi, Zumba, Line Dancing, and more
- Join our "Watch Your Step" class for fall prevention and to improve overall fitness
- Play cards, bingo, dominoes, billiards and other games
- Study history, music, language and healthy living
- Learn tech skills
- Join a group or start your own!
- Free Movie and popcorn. Check newsletter for days and times.
See Newsletter above for Activities Schedule
Reliable transportation to:
- Senior Centers
- Doctor Appointments
- Post Office or other services
Transportation Services are provided for a suggested donation based on distance traveled.
Home Chore Services
- Home modifications for safety- Minor repairs
- Heavy cleaning
- Walkway snow removal - light yard work
Home Chore Services are provided for a suggested donation based on the time spent on chores by staff.
- Family Caregiver Support Group
- Widow/Widower's support group
- TOPS (Take off the Pounds Sensibly)
All Support Groups are free to attend. Click on "Current Newsletter" link above for schedule.
- Resource Guide for Seniors and Caregivers
- Medicare Insurance assistance and Medicare fraud information- call 970-382-6367
- Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC)
- Finding community resources
- Income Tax assistance- you must have an income of less than $60,000/year to be eligible for free tax preparation assistance. Appointments are available on Mondays and Saturdays from February thru mid April. An appointment is required and can be made online at durangovita.org. All appointments will be held in the Extension Building at the LPC Fairgrounds.