La Plata County Senior Services is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all adults age 60 years or older and helping them age with dignity and purpose.
Through information, advocacy and service, we are committed to building a healthier community for all senior residents.
Effective September 1, 2021 the Durango-La Plata Senior Center will suspend our Indoor dining program.
Due to the recent rise in severity of COVID-19 in our area, we have determined the need to scale back our Congregate meals (Indoor dining). We will also suspend our Indoor dining program in Bayfield. We made this decision because of the increased risk created when people dine together, not wearing masks and sitting closer together than six feet. We will continue to provide Home Delivered Meals to those who are interested. All other Senior Center activities & services will remain and we will continue to monitor and assess the severity of COVID-19 in our area to determine when Indoor dining will resume.
Senior Lunch Programs
- More than 45,000 tasty meals are served each year
- Dine at the Durango or Bayfield locations
- Meals on Wheels are home-delivered throughout La Plata County
- Our focus is high quality, wholesome and delicious food!
The Durango~La Plata Senior Center serves meals in Durango Monday through Friday. Reservations must be made by 9:30am. For meal reservations or cancellations, please call (970) 382-6445.
Lunch Donations: Seniors 60+ $5.00, Under 60 $10.00, Children under 12 $5.00.
See Newsletter below for current menu.
- Practice Tai Chi, Zumba, Line Dancing, and more
- Join our "Watch Your Step" class for fall prevention and to improve overall fitness
- Play cards, bingo, dominoes, billiards and other games
- Study history, music, language and healthy living
- Learn tech skills
- Join a group or start your own!
- Free Movie and popcorn, Mondays at 1:00pm
See Newsletter below for Activities Schedule
Newsletter, Events, Menu and Activities GuideFind the Durango~La Plata Senior Center and Bayfield Senior Center Menu, Activities Schedule and more in the Current Newsletter
Reliable transportation to:
- Senior Centers
- Doctor Appointments
- Post Office or other services
Transportation Services are provided for a suggested donation based on distance traveled.
Home Chore Services
- Home modifications for safety- Minor repairs
- Heavy cleaning
- Walkway snow removal - light yard work
Home Chore Services are provided for a suggested donation based on the time spent on chores by staff.
- Family Caregiver Support Group
- Vision Impaired (VIP)support group
- Widow/Widower's support group
- TOPS (Take off the Pounds Sensibly)
All Support Groups are free to attend. Click on "Current Newsletter" link above for schedule.
- Resource Guide for Seniors and Caregivers
- Medicare Insurance assistance and Medicare fraud information- call 970-382-6367
- Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC)
- Finding community resources
- Income Tax assistance- you must be 60+ and have an income of less than $54,000/year to be eligible for free tax preparation assistance. Appointments are available on Mondays from February thru April. An appointment is required. Please call 970-382-6445 to make an appointment. All appointments will be held in the Extension Building at the LPC Fairgrounds.
- Need help with technology and online resources? Free Tech Help Here!!! Tech Hotline
Council on Aging Thrift Store
Located inside the Durango/La Plata Senior Center. Open Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri from 9:00am-11:30pm. Thrift store is closed on Wednesday. Donations accepted Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 10am-11am only. (Clean donations only please!)
Pine River Senior Center in Bayfield serves lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays at noon. Reservations must be made by 9:00 a.m. by calling (970) 884-5415.
As of July 1, 2018 - Lunch Donations: Seniors 60+ $5.00, Under 60 $10.00, Children under 12 $5.00.