Register to Vote

Voter Registration

You may register to vote at any of the following locations:

  • On-line: Secretary of State
  • La Plata County Clerk and Recorder's Office
    679 Turner Dr Ste C Durango, CO 81303 or
    1199 Bayfield Parkway Bayfield, CO 81122
  • Any State Office, including the Driver's License Office
    329A South Camino Del Rio Durango, CO 81303

You can also download and print a Voter Registration form here: Colorado Voter Registration Form. Once you have completed the form please return it by:

Mail: La Plata County Clerk and Recorder
        Elections Department
        679 Turner Dr Ste C
        Durango, CO 81303


Fax: (970) 259-5413

This form can also be used for name, address or party affiliation changes. Please remember to include identification on your application,invalid or non-compliance will delay your registration.

If I am in the military or overseas how can I register and cast my ballot?

Go to to learn more about military and overseas voting or contact the La Plata County Clerk & Recorder’s office at (970) 382-6296.

Voter Identification Requirements

State law requires voters to provide identification to vote. (All forms of Identification must have a Colorado address.)

Acceptable forms of identification (if you vote in person these forms of ID are acceptable):

  • (a) A valid Colorado driver’s license;

    (b) A valid identification card issued by the Department of Revenue in accordance with the requirements of Part 3 of Article 2 of Title 42, C.R.S.;

    (c) A valid U.S. passport;

    (d) A valid employee identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government or of this state, or by any county, municipality, board, authority, or other political subdivision of this state;

    (e) A valid pilot’s license issued by the federal aviation administration or other authorized agency of the United States;

    (f) A valid U.S. military identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector;

    (g) A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector. For example:

    (I) A cable bill or telephone bill,

    (II) Documentation from a public institution of higher education in Colorado containing at least the name, date of birth, and legal residence address of the student elector,

    (III) A paycheck from a government institution or private company, or

    (IV) A Certificate of Degree of Indian or Alaskan Native Blood.

    (h) A valid Medicare or Medicaid card issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly the United States Health Care Financing Administration);

    (i) A certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate for the elector issued in the United States;

    (j) Certified documentation of naturalization;

    (k) A valid student identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by an institute of higher education in Colorado, as defined in section 23-3.1-102(5), C.R.S.;

    (l) A valid veteran identification card issued by the United States department of veterans affairs veterans health administration with a photograph of the eligible elector.

    (m) A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government certifying tribal membership.

    (n) Verification that a voter is a person committed to the department of human services and confined and eligible to register and vote shall be considered sufficient identification of such person for the purposes of section 1-2-210.5, C.R.S.

In order to vote at the Polls/Early Voting all electors must have one of the above acceptable forms of ID. If the Voter is unable to provide one at the time of voting he/she will be allowed to vote using a Provisional Ballot.