Additional Dwelling Units (ADU)
One single residence is allowed on a vacant legal lot of record. If you are considering, or have an additional space, the following two lists help to determine if an ADU permit is required.
Additional living space may include the following, no land use permit required:
- A full bathroom.
- Attachment to the main residence with a separate entrance.
- Placement in/with a detached structure.
- An under-counter refrigerator.
- A wet bar that includes a single compartment bar sink with maximum dimensions of 15” x 15” (width/length) x 8” (depth).
- A laundry room (may contain a utility sink).
- A standard, countertop microwave oven (requiring no more than a 120 Volt power source).
- A kiln for firing pottery (art facilities may also include a utility sink).
- Additional living space may not be used for long term or short term rental, or lived in independently of primary dwelling.
List of criteria for Additional Dwelling Unit, requires an ADU permit:
- Structure that can be lived in independently from the primary dwelling.
- A stove/oven/range or the supporting 240-V electric hookup or equivalent gas piping for cooking facilities.
- A microwave that requires an electric hookup greater than typical countertop appliances (no more than 110/120 Volts).
- A single or double compartment sink designed for use in a kitchen (a sink that has dimensions larger than a bar sink).
- A kitchen.
- Including but not limited to, mobile homes, basement units, RVs and RV hook-ups, tiny homes, space over garage, yurts, attached and detached spaces may all be considered ADUs.
If you live in Animas Valley there are specific rules that apply to you. First confirm your zoning classification by visiting the La Plata County GIS Mapping site or call the Planning Department to confirm your zoning classification 970-382-6263 x3. Then, review the land use code for zoning rules pertaining specifically to granny flats.
If you are not in Animas Valley, you can likely apply for an ADU permit using one of three permit paths. To determine which is applicable to you see the table below.
Please be advised additional review fees may be required as part of the application process if existing structures and/or uses are found to be out of compliance with the land use code pursuant to LUC Sec. 80-8.V.
The flow chart represents the information above in a different format.
Once you know what permit type you may meet the criteria for, please visit the ADU application webpage for more information and next steps.