Fleet Maintenance

The Fleet Department was previously known as the road and bridge shop. Established in 1955, fleet operated out of a 7,000 square foot, single-bay shop with 3 mechanics, one welder and a parts man and in a facility with shared with the Road and Bridge Department and a one-bay vehicle repair shop located at the Fairgrounds with one mechanic for patrol vehicles. During this period, all departments budgeted, requested and justified all vehicle and equipment purchases to the Board of County Commissioners. In 2003, at the direction of the Board of County Commissioners, Fleet became its own department and developed a central equipment replacement fund as well as all fleet policies and procedures. During this transition, all vehicles and equipment were transferred into the ownership of the Fleet Department. The Fleet Department now owns, specs, purchases, disposes of, leases back and develops maintenance and repair charges for over 300 county vehicles and pieces of equipment as well as managing procuring and dispensing approximately 270,000 gallons of fuel annually. Also during this transition period the Fleet Department was able to purchase a fleet management software program and build a state of the art $4.8 million maintenance and fueling facility.

Today the Fleet Department consists of 3 Heavy Equipment Technicians, 1 Welder Technician, 2 Vehicle Technicians, 1 Parts Buyer and 2 Administrative Positions. Since the early eighties, the fleet department has only grown by 1 administrative position. The fleet department now operates out of a 16,730 sq foot, 4-bay facility, and maintains over 300 vehicles with a total acquired value of $10,544,058.