Senior Citizen Exemption
The Senior Exemption application deadline is July 15.
No applications are processed from August 15 through December 31.
How to Apply - Senior Exemption Applications
After you go to the link, scroll towards the bottom of the page and select from the forms listed under the Seniors Citizen Property Tax Exemption section.
If you have questions about the exemption, please contact the La Plata County Assessor's office. The application form should be submitted to the County Assessor at the following address:
La Plata County Assessor's Office
679 Turner DR, STE A
Durango, CO 81303
Basic Qualifications - Generally, each of the following statements must be true to qualify. The qualifying senior:
- Must be at least 65 years old as of January 1 of this year; and
- Must be current owner of record, and listed as the owner of record for at least ten consecutive years prior to January 1 of this year; and
- Must occupy the property as his/her primary residence, and must have done so for at least ten consecutive years prior to January 1 of this year.
Exceptions to Basic Qualifications - The applicant may still qualify if one or more of the following statements is true:
- Ownership is in the spouse's name, and the spouse also occupies the property.
- Ownership has been transferred to or purchased by a trust, corporate partnership or other legal entity solely for estate planning purposes.
- The applicant was forced to move when the prior residence was condemned in an eminent domain proceeding.
- The applicant is the surviving spouse of a senior who met the requirements on January 1, 2002, or on any January 1 thereafter.