FAQs - Visitors
Marriage License FAQ’s
Marriage licenses are available from the La Plata County Clerk and Recorder’s office located in Bodo at 98 Everett Street Ste C Durango, Monday through Friday 8:00am- 4:30pm.
La Plata County Motor Vehicles has an inspector on-site (Durango office only): Those hours are Monday - Friday: 8:00am -11:30am & 12:00pm – 4:00pm.
In La Plata County, weather is our biggest daily concern and can change instantly without warning. The high peaks hide incoming threats and temperatures can swing 40 degrees during the day or from town to the ski resort. Carrying extra layers of clothing for all conditions is advisable, as well as storing a blanket, shovel, water and snacks in your car for emergencies. Keep your vehicle in good repair and ready for snow, mud and rain. Watch for deer and elk and other wildlife on the highway.
Our State Sales Tax rate is 2.9%. The La Plata County Sales Tax on motor vehicle purchases is based on where you take possession. If you purchase outside La Plata County the 2% County tax does not apply. Purchases within La Plata County result in an additional 2% Tax. If you reside in Durango City limits an additional 3% city sales tax is due.
Secure and Verifiable ID is required to obtain:
• New Titles
• Duplicate Titles (original title issued on or after 07/01/2006)
• New Registrations
• New Temporary Registration Permits
• New Placards
The following types of identification are Secure and Verifiable:
• Any Colorado Driver License, Colorado Driver Permit or Colorado Identification Card,
current or expired one year or less. (Valid temporary paper license with invalid Colorado
Driver’s License, Colorado Driver’s Permit, or Colorado Identification Card, expired one
Duplicate title application can be mailed to either location in La Plata County.
- Purchase - Vehicles must be registered within 60 days from the date of purchase to avoid late fee.
- Renewal - There is a one month grace period, after the month grace there is a late fee.
- Late fees - $25 for each month or portion of a month that a vehicle is not registered after the one month grace period, not to exceed $100, will be charged.