Strategic Plan - Compass
|La Plata County Compass: From Vision to Action!|
Our Mission: To foster a safe, healthy, viable and self-sustaining community through wise stewardship of public and natural resources, efficient and effective delivery of mandated and discretionary services, local and regional collaboration, open, transparent government and active citizen engagement.
- We are known as a safe, healthy, and self-sustaining community for people of all ages and one of the best places to raise a family in the nation.
- We are a model of intergovernmental collaboration, partnership, innovation, and efficiency;
- We have attained the highest level of satisfaction and confidence of our citizens while respecting our heritage and cultural richness.
Our Strategic Plan Values:
- Regional cooperation
- Preservation of our heritage
La Plata County optimized partnerships with other governments and stakeholders to foster a diverse and stable economy.
- Mitigate economic leakage/support local buying
- Business attraction, enhancement and retention
- Workforce development at all levels
- Enhanced cultural, tourism and environmental attractions
- Improved technological connectivity
- Monitor and prioritize tax and funding mechanisms
La Plata County guides sustainable development in a way that is symbiotic with local municipalities, neighborhood
communities and sovereign nations.
- Support agricultural interests
- Intentional land use planning
- Stewardship of water resources to ensure existing and future supplies
- Mixed use development hubs
La Plata County continues to develop and enhance an efficient multi-modal transportation system that complements our land use strategies.
- Protect / maintain existing road & bridge infrastructure
- Identify system deficiencies and plans to address them
- Pedestrian / bicycle safety
- Mitigation of peak hour congestion
- Sustainable road construction and maintenance practices
- Reliable alternate modes of transport
- Improved air service
Healthy Natural Environment
La Plata County supports the protection and enhancement of healthy natural environments on a local, regional and global scale.
- Maintain clean air and water
- Leadership in energy management and resource conservation
- Champion best practices in sustainability and climate protection
- Informed, educated citizens who understand local issues such as living with wildlife and natural hazards such as wildfire and floods
- Mitigation of extractive industry impacts
La Plata County supports a work environment that values productive employees, progressive personnel practices and continuous workforce development to ensure our services are delivered in an efficient, ethical and responsible manner.
- High customer satisfaction
- Well trained and motivated staff
- User friendly and efficient government services
- Sufficient, efficient and well functioning facilities
- Balance competing demands of mandatory and discretionary services
- Structurally balanced budget (revenues and expenditures) to fulfill existing responsibilities and secure the future of La Plata County
Thriving Families & Healthy Community
La Plata County strives to maximize the quality of life, well being and potential of all citizens by supporting their efforts to thrive.
- Adequate, varied, accessible housing options
- Elder friendly communities
- Educational, recreational, cultural, and civil opportunities for people of all ages
- Responsive, innovative public safety
- Opportunities for youth to stay
- Accessible health care
- Supportive services and activities for all family members