La Plata County "Adopt A County Road" Roadside Cleanup Program
Thank you for your interest in the "Adopt A County Road" roadside cleanup program. It's a great way to keep county roads litter-free, preserve our environment and demonstrate your civic pride!
Map of La Plata County Adopt a Road Participants
The parameters of the program are as follows:
- Any club or organization may adopt a county road by completing the application Adopt_a_Road_Application.pdf and returning it to the La Plata County Road and Bridge Department, 1365 South Camino del Rio, Durango, CO 81303.
- Individuals or organizations are requested to accept a minimum of two miles of road (or in the case of a road that is four miles in length or less, we ask that the organization accept the entire road). To ensure that the individual or organization is credited with accurate mileage of the adopted road, the Road and Bridge Traffic Division will verify the mileage.
- Roadside clean up should occur at least twice a year - once in the spring and once in the fall. (Note: on heavily traveled roads, it is advisable to do one summer clean up as well.) Signs will be posted as long as the road is cleaned up at least twice a year. If road side clean up is neglected for a period of one year or more, the organization/participant will be dropped from the program.
- La Plata County will place two "Adopt a Road" signs (one in each direction) on the adopted road, which will indicate the number of verified miles assigned to the individual or organization, as well as the individuals or organization's name. La Plata County will provide and place the signs free of charge during the months of November through April, when the work schedule allows. Additional signs may be installed at the discretion of the Traffic Supervisor.
- Your clean up coordinator will be required to submit a signed and notarized Release of Liability Form for each participant.
- The County will provide orange trash bags and orange safety bibs free of charge. It will be the responsibility of the individual or organization to collect the trash bags and transport them to either the Bayfield or Marvel convenience centers for disposal. La Plata County will pay the disposal fee; however, the clean up coordinator must contact the Road and Bridge Department before hauling the trash bags so that the convenience center operator will know to accept them without charge to you or your organization.
If you have any questions, please call 382-6412 or fill in this form to submit your question to the La Plata County Road and Bridge Division