Treasurer / Public Trustee's Office

2019 Tax Lien Sale
November 7

The purpose of a tax lien sale is to collect 100% of all property taxes owed to the taxing authorities within La Plata County; this includes the school districts, fire districts, metro districts, and others. There are more than 50 such entities in La Plata County. More than 98% of property owners pay their property taxes on time. The tax lien sale offers the remaining 2% of taxes to be paid by investors, who receive interest for their investment. This way the taxing districts receive the amount of funds they are expecting from their certified mill levies.



La Plata County’s tax lien sale in an on-line auction. To participate, you must register at the following site:

The auction is hosted by Realauction, LLC, a nationally recognized firm specializing in tax lien sales. You will be required to fill out a W-9, per IRS rules, and deposit 10% of your expected winnings with Realauction, LLC. Your deposit must be in ACH funds.  Instructions are on line.

You may register beginning October 2, 2019. The website will be updated daily with available tax liens. It is recommended you research the tax liens and enter your highest bid on the liens you are interested in before November 7th. The auction site will award the lien certificate to the highest bidder.  Bid increments are $1.00. As an example, if the 2nd highest bid is $1.00 over the lien amount, and you have offered $5.00 over the amount, you will be awarded the certificate for $2.00 over the lien, and be refunded your $3.00.

The interest rate for tax lien certificates for 2019 is 12%.  Future endorsements onto these certificates will remain at 12% for the live of the certificate (15 years).  Endorsements are offered on August 1st  to the certificate holder.

Delinquent Property Tax Owners

Real estate and mobile home tax liens are sold at an on line auction on Thursday, November 7th. You have until noon, November 6th to pay your property taxes, plus accrued interest and additional advertising fees, or they will be offered to an investor the following day. After Wednesday, October 2nd, you must pay your delinquent taxes in cash or certified funds. No tax lien payments will be accepted between Noon, Wednesday, November 6th, 2019 – Friday, November 15th, 2019 in order to complete the tax lien sale.

Certificates of Taxes Due

During the tax lien sale time period, November 6th – November 15th, the ability to create “Certificates of Taxes Due” will be suspended.  Please call the Treasurer’s Office if you need a certificate during this time period.

Tax Lien Sale Webinars:

Realauction hosts webinars for those new to tax lien sale investing or new to on-line tax lien sale auctions.  You may register on-line at for any of the following webinars:

Monday, October 7th, 2019 at 12:00 PM MT

Tuesday, October 15th, 2019 at 10:00 AM MT

Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019 at 2:00 PM MT

Friday, November 1st, 2019 at 4:00 PM MT

Tuesday, November 5th, 2019 at 8:00 AM MT

 More information on tax sale is available here.

At a Glance


Allison Aichele
County Treasurer &
Public Trustee


Contact Information:      

1060 Main Ave., Suite 103
Durango, CO 81301


P: 970-382-6352
F: 970-375-9405

Hours: Monday thru Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm

Email contact form


Billing & Collections Require Accounting Expertise

Where Your Property Tax Dollars Go

Cards, E-Checks Streamline Payment